Writing content for your website or blog is one of the most important things you can do for your business. It is vital for showcasing your brand, highlighting your culture, capabilities and providing engaging information to attract new readers as well as retaining the attention of existing readers.
The world has become digital – and online content is very different to other forms of traditional print content.
Why? Because web visitors approach online content differently. They use online content as a means of searching for and gathering information and solutions, often to make a quick decision.
Readers are bombarded with information, meaning that it is harder than ever to attract and retain attention. Here are some tips on how you can optimise your content – for findability, readability and searchability.
Content Writing: 4 Tips You Need To Know:
Tip 1: Make your content searchable
- Keywords: Boost your online visibility by identifying your target keywords and placing them 2-3 times in your copy, plus in your URL, page headlines and meta-descriptions.
- Content Length: To optimize your SEO, your content should be a minimum of 300 words (maximum of 2000 words).
Tip 2: Make your content readable
- Structure: Make your content easy to read by including concise introductions, sub-headings, short paragraphs and short sentences. Always include the most important facts at the top to garner attention.
- Form: Use bullets and numbered lists to help web visitors consume information quickly, and always include a graphic to complement your content.
Tip 3: Make your content understandable
- Content Type: Develop your content based on what your audience would be searching for and what solutions they are trying to find. Think about how you can answer their questions using lists, how-tos, Q&As, definitions, opinions pieces and news style content.
- Personas: Create personas for your user audiences and match your content to address the needs of each persona – consider the level of complexity required, language tone and tone.
Tip 4: Make your content actionable and shareable
- Call-To-Action: Include an obvious call-to-action into your content. Instead of saying goodbye, tell your audience what the next step is – Sign Up. Register. Learn More. Download. Try. Buy.
- Social Sharing: Integrate social media sharing functionality into your content posts to ensure that your content is easily shareable, along with your appropriate social media profile featured where possible.
Although time consuming, creating optimised content for your website is incredibly worthwhile and a sound marketing investment. Follow these 4 tips for an instant improvement … and enjoy your audience’s response!