As a small business owner, a great way to think about Instagram is as microsite for your business, where customers can discover and interact with you. So when it comes to setting up your business profile – it’s important to get the fundamentals right!
Here are five quick steps on how to set up your Instagram Business Profile:
- Set up your account. Instagram business accounts can be easily set up via the Instagram mobile App. Once you’ve created a new account, tap on the settings wheel icon at the top right of your profile and select ‘Switch to Business Profile’. From here, you can select the Facebook Page you would like your Instagram account to be linked to and then you’re set to go!
- Add your contact information and business address to your profile. Adding your phone and email contact details is a great way to give your customers direct access to you from your profile. Similarly, adding your business address is also a great way to inform customers of your location, especially if you have a storefront! Once complete, you will have a ‘CONTACT’ button appear at the top of your profile.
- Set up your username and profile picture. When setting up your profile, ensure your username and the name of your account are consistent with your business name, and remember to use a profile picture that clearly represents your business (usually a company logo works best).
- Add a description to your profile. Instagram allows you to add a 150-character ‘bio’ to your profile, which gives you the opportunity to sum up who you are and what you do. This is also a great place to make use of important #hashtags, particularly your individual business or special event hashtags.
- Add a link to your profile. The bio on your account is the perfect (and only) place to add external links to your website and/or other sites (as links in individual posts don’t work).TIP: Be creative with your link choice and don’t be afraid to update your link frequently! If you are running an event, special promotion or have a new product launch, use this space to provide a link directly to that landing page vs. your homepage. If you do so, simply note in the post description: “See bio for link”.
Now that you’re all set up, it’s time to start posting content and making use of the new Instagram Insights so you can see what is working for you! Happy Instagramming!